How Do You Recommend A Friend On Facebook | Update

Suggest Friends On Facebook



I have sometimes obtained 'invites' from individuals, the majority of whom I understand only slightly, to join them on Facebook. I've no desire to sign up with Facebook, so just ignore these. The other day, nevertheless, I obtained yet an additional invite, from a person that runs art courses I once enquired about. Below, Facebook lists 3 other people who have invited me in the past. And also, below that, there is a list of 9 other people 'whom you might know'-- none of whom have ever before invited me, and also three of whom I have actually had only really fundamental contact with-- eg a single query made to an archivist.

This really worries me-- how does Facebook recognize that I have ever before had any kind of contact with these individuals? Can Facebook accessibility their e-mails, see where they are all mosting likely to, and cross-reference them with individuals that have received an invitation from in other places? Or can they, having once been offered my email address, somehow access to my Sent messages, see where they are being sent to, and also cross-reference them against their existing Facebook subscription ??

This really frets me-- it just appears such an intrusion of my privacy, as well as issues me that they might be able to accessibility all kind of individual information as well as conversations.

Can you clarify how this can be happening, as well as suggest any way to obstruct it, please??

I'm not privy to all the details of how Facebook works. That being claimed, I can predict as to just how Facebook (or any kind of social media network with comparable abilities) may be making these referrals.

No, Facebook is not looking at any individual's e-mail (outside of messages sent on Facebook itself).

Facebook pal pointers and invitations to sign up with Facebook-- whether emailed, or tips when signed in to Facebook-- are nothing greater than what I 'd define as really enlightened assumptions.

Tom as well as Dick, meet Harry

Here's one method I assume this happens:

  • Your buddy "Tom" sends you a pal demand, which you disregard. Nevertheless, Facebook bears in mind that he did so.

  • One more pal, "Dick", also sends you a close friend demand, which you additionally overlook. Once again, Facebook remembers.

  • " Tom" and "Cock" have a pal in common-- I'll call him "Harry". Both Tom and Penis welcomed Harry to be buddies, as well as Harry accepted.


So, right here's what Facebook understands:

  • Tom claims to understand you.

  • Prick declares to know you.

  • Tom as well as Dick both know Harry.


The informed assumption is: considering that Tom and Dick both declare to recognize you as well as Harry, perhaps you understand Harry. For this reason, Harry comes to be an "various other individual you might understand".

As well as you might. Or you could not.

Mutual interests

Another situation plays out based out mutual friends, however shared rate of interests.

  • As in the past, your good friend "Tom" sends you a friend request, which you disregard and also Facebook remembers.

  • " Cock" also sends you a close friend demand, which you also ignore and also Facebook bears in mind.

  • " Tom" and "Penis" both take place to have "Suched as" a page on Corgis.


So, below's what Facebook recognizes:

  • Tom asserts to recognize you.

  • Cock asserts to know you.

  • Tom and Penis both like a Corgi page.


A different educated assumption is that given that Tom and Cock both know you, as well as they share a liking of Corgis, you might also like Corgis. Actually, you could like to be friends with other people that also suched as the Corgi web page. So Facebook picks someone randomly who additionally suches as the Corgi web page as well as suggests that you could like to be friends.

Obviously, if there's more overlap-- even more common rate of interests Facebook learns about-- it might pick individuals that have the most in common with Tom and Cock, and therefore hopefully you.

If you are already on Facebook

This kind of shared-connections-and-interests evaluation goes on in significantly more detail if you already have a Facebook account. Facebook then can toss right into the estimation the web pages you liked, the good friends you approved, the articles you clicked on, liked, and shared, and also also your area as well as various other information you have actually given it.

The outcome is that they may recommend total unfamiliar people as feasible pals.

I locate regarding 50% of Facebook's preliminary recommendations are individuals I do not know, and also about half of the rest are individuals I may recognize however don't intend to connect with anyway.

It's not something I bother with

Now, as I claimed, I don't know specifically how Facebook-- or any social media-- really functions. As a matter of fact, I 'd agree to wager that the details are considerably more intricate. If absolutely nothing else, they are privy to numerous connection links, passions, and activities to make these inferences.

But I'm willing to bet it's simply that: nothing greater than Facebook assessing all the information its members have provided to infer who may know that-- also for people who are not yet participants.

I get that it may seem a little creepy, but I do not think it's as intrusive as you fear. It's merely making use of the social partnerships its members offer to make a few well-read assumptions.

Sadly, to answer your last inquiry, I'm not aware of a method to really block Facebook's emailed invites, other than to probably report them as spam.