How to Recommend Friends On Facebook | Update

Suggest Friends On Facebook



I have periodically received 'invitations' from individuals, the majority of whom I recognize only slightly, to join them on Facebook. I've no desire to join Facebook, so simply ignore these. Yesterday, nevertheless, I received yet an additional invite, from someone that runs art courses I when enquired about. Below, Facebook provides three other people that have invited me in the past. As well as, below that, there is a listing of nine other people 'whom you might know'-- none of whom have ever before invited me, and 3 of whom I have actually had just very basic contact with-- eg a solitary enquiry made to an archivist.

This actually stresses me-- exactly how does Facebook understand that I have ever had any contact with these individuals? Can Facebook access their emails, see where they are all mosting likely to, and also cross-reference them with individuals that have received an invitation from somewhere else? Or can they, having once been provided my e-mail address, somehow access to my Sent messages, see where they are being sent to, and also cross-reference them versus their existing Facebook subscription ??

This really stresses me-- it just seems such an invasion of my personal privacy, as well as worries me that they may be able to access all type of personal information and conversations.

Can you describe how this can be happening, and suggest any way to block it, please??

I'm not privy to all the details of just how Facebook functions. That being stated, I can predict regarding just how Facebook (or any social media with similar capabilities) might be making these referrals.

No, Facebook is not looking at any individual's e-mail (beyond messages sent on Facebook itself).

Facebook good friend tips and also invites to sign up with Facebook-- whether emailed, or tips when signed in to Facebook-- are nothing more than what I 'd identify as very enlightened hunches.

Tom and Prick, meet Harry

Here's one way I think this takes place:

  • Your close friend "Tom" sends you a close friend demand, which you overlook. However, Facebook keeps in mind that he did so.

  • Another buddy, "Dick", also sends you a close friend demand, which you likewise overlook. Once again, Facebook remembers.

  • " Tom" and also "Prick" have a buddy in common-- I'll call him "Harry". Both Tom and Prick invited Harry to be buddies, and also Harry accepted.


So, here's what Facebook understands:

  • Tom claims to recognize you.

  • Prick claims to know you.

  • Tom and Prick both understand Harry.


The informed guess is: because Tom and also Cock both assert to know you and Harry, possibly you recognize Harry. For this reason, Harry becomes an "other person you could recognize".

And also you might. Or you might not.

Common rate of interests

An additional circumstance plays out based out mutual friends, but common passions.

  • As in the past, your pal "Tom" sends you a good friend demand, which you ignore and Facebook bears in mind.

  • " Penis" also sends you a friend demand, which you likewise disregard as well as Facebook bears in mind.

  • " Tom" and also "Cock" both occur to have "Suched as" a web page on Corgis.


So, here's what Facebook knows:

  • Tom claims to recognize you.

  • Dick asserts to recognize you.

  • Tom and also Dick both like a Corgi page.


A various educated assumption is that because Tom as well as Cock both recognize you, and also they share a preference of Corgis, you could additionally such as Corgis. As a matter of fact, you may such as to be close friends with other individuals who additionally liked the Corgi page. So Facebook chooses someone randomly that also likes the Corgi web page as well as suggests that you could like to be close friends.

Of course, if there's even more overlap-- even more mutual interests Facebook knows about-- it could choose people that have one of the most in common with Tom and Dick, and thus with any luck you.

If you are already on Facebook

This type of shared-connections-and-interests evaluation goes on in significantly even more detail if you already have a Facebook account. Facebook then can throw right into the computation the web pages you liked, the buddies you approved, the articles you clicked, suched as, and shared, and also your place and also various other information you've provided it.

The result is that they might recommend full unfamiliar people as feasible close friends.

I find concerning 50% of Facebook's preliminary suggestions are people I don't recognize, as well as regarding fifty percent of the rest are people I may recognize yet do not want to get in touch with anyhow.

It's not something I fret about

Currently, as I stated, I do not know precisely how Facebook-- or any social media network-- actually works. As a matter of fact, I 'd be willing to bet that the details are dramatically extra complicated. If absolutely nothing else, they are privy to millions of partnership connections, passions, and actions to make these inferences.

However I'm willing to bet it's simply that: nothing more than Facebook examining all the data its participants have given to presume that may understand that-- even for individuals who are not yet participants.

I get that it might seem a little creepy, however I do not think it's as invasive as you are afraid. It's simply making use of the social connections its participants give to make a couple of well-read assumptions.

Sadly, to address your last concern, I'm not familiar with a way to really obstruct Facebook's emailed invites, aside from to maybe report them as spam.